Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Constructive Feedback Friday - i heart faces


Today, various contributors at i heart faces will be giving constructive feedback on editing photos.  I have been trying to improve my skills using CS4 Photoshop, but I still am having a lot of trouble when the photo is taken indoors or if the photo is a bit overexposed.  In this case, I think her cheeks were overexposed - maybe beyond repair??
 

Here is a photo of a friend who was turning 5 years old.  I have included both a color and BW edit that I tried.  I'd love suggestions!  Thanks so much for taking the time to look.  The photo is on Flickr, click on photo to find the largest size of this picture.

IMG_7039
f/4
50mm lens
Canon Rebel XT
ISO 800
Shutter Speed: 1/60

Here is my color edit (too yellowish??):

Here is my B&W edit:

3 comments:

jamielauren March 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

This is an example, to me, of a great shot that just needs some tweaking. You have great eye contact, a natural smile, good compostion, etc. Love it!

Yes, the first edit is still a touch too yellow to me. I'm on an uncalibrated monitor though, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't like the b&w at all, but I'm VERY picky about b&w photos. :O) No gray skin!! It's just too dark and underexposed for my taste. There are shadows on her face which become even more noticable in the b&w. The ONLY thing, composition-wise, that I don't like is the line running through the middle of her head but that's just me being super-picky.

jamielauren March 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

Also, I just noticed that there is more light on the left side of her face then the right, making her left eye too dark. I'd try to bring some light into that eye. If you have CS4, you can try one of MCP's free actions [touch of light/touch of darkness]. MCP actions rock: http://www.mcpactions.com/actions/all-actions.html

RM of LMMP March 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

For the first edit, just run a cooling mask or action on it and it will take away some of the warm hue.

Example, PW's Cooler and then mess with the opacity of the layer.

Also, on your black and white, I would drag the top right side of your curves up a little to lighten it and make it pop a little. :) It might help some of the darkness.

Week 3: 2011

I_Heart_Faces_Favorite1

Week 19: 2010

Week 27: 2009

Week 15: 2009

Week 13: 2009

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive

Search Team Krasean

TEAM KRASEAN

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP